Leaders of local businesses united at the Grand Hotel in Eastbourne for the Eastbourne Business Awards earlier this month.
During the event, Mike Walker, managing director of CountyClean Group, came to the stage to thank all those involved in making the awards ceremony such a memorable one as well as congratulating all nominees. He said: “We are very impressed at the quality of the businesses and individuals that have been nominated this year. It really does illustrate that this town has some seriously talented, hardworking and entrepreneurial people and I'm so pleased to be up here helping to recognise you all. Every single one of the nominees is a winner in my book.”
After an introduction to the company's history and plans for the future, Walker encouraged everyone in the room to dig deep for a charity very close to his heart, Cancer Research UK, for which the event's attendees raised a generous £855.
The fundraising collection was conducted by Amy Woods, shop manager for the Eastbourne branch of Cancer Research UK, who added: “We are very grateful indeed to Mike and CountyClean Group for choosing our charity for this year's Eastbourne Business Awards and wish them all the best for the future. It was really lovely to be a part of the event.”
The awards ceremony was opened by Keith Ridley, editor-in-chief for Johnston Press in East Sussex, and hosted by BBC presenter, Nick Wallis. It was sponsored by local companies including W. Bruford, Fusciardi's ice cream parlour and the Rotary Club of Eastbourne, with CountyClean Group as the headline event sponsor.
The winners of the Eastbourne Business Awards 2016 are:
• Small Business of the Year Award - sponsored by Let's Do Business: The HR Dept Brighton and Eastbourne.
• Medium Business of the Year - sponsored by Advanta Chartered Accountants: Verrall & Parks Ltd.
• Large Business of the Year - sponsored by Eastbourne Arndale Centre: Hastings Direct.
• Start-Up - sponsored by Fusciardi's Ice Cream Parlour: Gentleman Jacks.
• Manufacturing and Construction: Colbran and Wingrove Ltd
• Customer Service - sponsored by Handlesbanken: Jamieson Berriman, general manager of Best Western Lansdowne Hotel.
• Young Achiever - sponsored by Rotary Club of Eastbourne: Brandon Relph.
• Employee/Team of the Year - sponsored by ETC Magazine: Luke Johnson of Eastbourne Chamber of Commerce.
• Employer of the Year - sponsored by Hart Reade Solicitors: Gradient Consultants Ltd.
• Outstanding Contribution to the Community - sponsored by the Spice Garden: Dave Cooper for his part in the organisation of Eastbourne Sunshine Carnival.
• Place to Eat and/or Drink - presented by CountyClean Group: Fusciardi's Ice Cream Parlour.
• Innovation of the Year - sponsored by CountyClean Group: West End Studios.
• Retailer of the Year - sponsored by W. Brufords: Barracloughs the Opticians.
• Business Personality - sponsored by Identity Group: Maxine Reid of Kreston Reeves.
• Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure - sponsored by Lions Hotel: Wyntercon.
• Development & Training - sponsored by the Grand Hotel: Tim Sorensen of the Eastbourne Education Business Partnership.
• Lifetime Achievement - sponsored by Chatfields Jewellers: Mike Marchant of Eastbourne Borough Council.
• Overall Business of the Year - sponsored by CountyClean Group: Barracloughs the Opticians.
• Special Recognition: Rupert Ashford of Ashprint.
Photo shows, from left: Mike Walker, Amy Woods and Debbie Walker.