Scrubber dryers are a staple in any modern cleaning fleet but surprisingly operators can still get it wrong. Here, John Brill, Sales Director for Nilfisk, tells us his top tips and tricks for sourcing and operating a scrubber dryer.
- Don’t go too fast!
A good result depends on an adequate amount of water and chemical being applied to let the machine do its work. Adjust your water flow rate or use an automated scrubber dryer that will set a maximum for all elements.
- Use a dosing system The right amount of a good quality chemical will produce the best cleaning result every time. Using too much chemical is expensive and in some cases can result in an unhealthy residue being left on the floor. Most users don’t use a dosing system because the machine has been purchased without one or they are untrained.
- Double scrub if you have to If a high footfall area is particularly dirty just double scrub. It does not add that much time and is very effective.
- Use a diamond pad Using a diamond pad on a marble or terrazzo floor is almost miraculous. Don’t be scared of it, there is no going back once you have seen the results.
- Purchase wisely If budget allows purchase a new scrubber dryer with all the ‘toys.’ Units like the award winning Nilfisk SC500 feature automatic adjustment of water and detergent flow according to the speed of the machine.
- Consider a cylindrical roller brush A cylindrical brush option provides for excellent performance in one pass – both sweep and scrub. Industrial machines like the Nilfisk SC6000 provide exceptional performance in a difficult environment. A roller brush with variable brush pressure and pumped water provides a consistent level of water pressure. It really does make all the difference.
- Source a thorough demonstration Make sure you receive a thorough demonstration from the manufacturer or distributor. Really put the scrubber dryer through its paces. The salesman should be very knowledgeable and able to discuss and demonstrate all variables.
- Service, Service, Service You would not buy a car and expect it to keep performing well with zero attention. Regular preventative maintenance will maintain performance, reduce breakdowns and extend the life of the machine.